Friday, May 11, 2012

Tardiness

IMG_4162
“English class has already started. Do not enter. Do not knock on the door.”
Tanzanian time does not work for me when I am trying to teach. Students can no longer enter my class late.  Tanzanian teachers beat students who come late. I generally just let them come in without much harassment. The students have started taking advantage of this and come in groups, ten minutes late. Not anymore. They won’t get beat by me, but they won’t get their lesson either, which is arguably a worse punishment.  And in the end, if the students are not in class, they’ll end up getting hit anyway by the teachers who patrol the school making sure students are where they are supposed to be. I imagine one week after my sign being hung, students will figure out how to be on time to English class.

1 comment:

  1. Have any other teachers tried this approach now that you have started using it?

    ReplyDelete