Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Welcome to Subway

Today marks one month for me in Dar es Salaam, an anniversary that I am not exactly happy about. Most anniversaries are a call for a celebration, this one however, is more of a commiseration. In order to cheer myself up, I decided to do the one thing that always makes me happy - eat food. As much as I dislike being in Dar at the moment, I should take advantage of what it does have to offer - food I can't get even remotely close to my village!  Jon and I needed to find an ATM and on our errand tour around Dar, we came to Subway.  Yes, folks....like a real American subway. Most people spend anniversaries enjoying good food and well I did the same.  Dar es Salaam and I "celebrated" our month long friendship by eating a 6" veggie delight with southwest chipotle sauce. I didn't want to go cheap on my first date with Dar, so I even ordered the meal deal. Dar did not let me down, when I entered Subway, I got a cheerful "Welcome to Subway!" and the workers were even wearing visors. I hope I break up with Dar soon because even though he has been showing me fancy meals, electricity and running water, internet, paved roads, and nice beaches; money can't buy you love. It's time to break up Dar. I need to get back to my ex-boyfriend known as poverty. Against all odds, it seems that poverty and I work better as a couple. I miss my candles, buckets of water, complete ignorance to the outside world of my school, and rice and beans.  Dar - it's not you, it's me. You're just not what I need at this time in my life.  I need to figure things out without you before we can consider a future relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment